Create rainbow coloured screen prints on paper using simple hand cut stencils and just three colours; cyan, magenta and yellow! This is a fun way to learn about colour and work with overlapping layers of ink to create exciting multi-coloured screen prints.
The workshop will guide you through the whole process starting with drawing a design suitable for screen printing with hand cut stencils, working out the different layers for your design and hand cutting a separate stencil for each layer. You will learn how to set up to print and carefully register each different layer. And then you will screen print using your hand cut stencils, a silk screen, squeegee and water based inks. You will screen print two or more layers of ink which overlap to create multi-coloured prints on paper. By the end of the course you will have printed a series of about ten screen prints on A3 paper.
Perfect for lovers of graphic imagery and colour!
Your tutors: Karoline Rerrie
Karoline is an illustrator and printmaker based in Birmingham. Her work is characterised by bold outlines, pattern and bright colours so it is particularly suited to screen printing. She draws the artwork by hand and then carefully screen prints it in small limited editions using either photo stencils or simple hand cut stencils. Karoline creates a range of hand printed products including greetings cards, limited edition prints and decorations. As well as printmaking she is inspired by art, craft and costumes from around the world and Eastern Europe in particular.
Karoline regularly exhibits her work in galleries and at print fairs throughout the UK. Alongside creating her own prints, Karoline works on commissions and licensing projects.
An experienced workshop tutor, Karoline has delivered screen print workshops for many organisations including Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, The Royal Birmingham Society of Artists and Leicester Print Workshop.
Ideal for beginners or those who want to refresh their memory of the screen-print process.
The day will consist of:
- Introduction with examples showing each stage of the process including; different designs for stencils, hand cut stencils and finished screen prints.
- Demonstration of how to register different layers of colour and screen print a design using overlapping layers of magenta, cyan and yellow ink.
- Hand out with step by step instructions.
- Participants will draw their own A4 designs. They will hand cut the stencil for their first colour and screen print using their stencil, a screen, a squeegee and one colour.
- After lunch participants will hand continue cutting stencils and will screen print their second and third layers of colour to create finished prints.
All course prices include basic materials such as inks, paper, tools and equipment.
After attending this course you can join our workshop as a member. As a member, you can continue to use our facilities to make and develop your own work. The sooner the better, as the longer you leave it the more you are likely to forget! If you join up within one month of attending the course you will receive a £5 discount. Find out more about the benefits of membership here: https://www.wypw.org/shop/standard-membership/