Learn the process of screen printing using natural mordant pastes and natural dyes to dye and print cloth. This day workshop will give a basic overall introduction to natural dyeing and printing techniques onto fabric, with time for process experimentation. You’ll learn how to screen print some basic patterns to explore the effect of mordant pastes when dyeing with plant and vegetable dyes.
Your tutor: Kirstie Williams
Previous experience is not necessary, although those with an understanding of textile screen printing may use the day to incorporate new techniques into their work.
All course prices include basic materials such as dyes, fabrics, tools and equipment.
What do I need to prepare beforehand?
A variety of materials will be provided such as silks and cottons. Students are also encouraged to bring along any natural fabrics such as plain cotton and silks to use.
- Introductions, health and safety, showing examples
- Demonstrations – mixing up a dye pan and mordant solution
- Students all help to prepare and use dye pans throughout the day.
- Practical activity to dye screen print mordant pastes and dye fabric samples
Covid-19 safety :
As a result of the ongoing pandemic, our workshops and the way we run courses looks a little different. We continue to have everyone’s safety as our main priority. It might not be quite the same as it was before but your ability to get stuck in and enjoy a spot of printmaking remains the same. Added measures to keep you safe include:
- All courses working with reduced numbers or alternate spaces to aid greater social ventilation and social distancing.
- Requesting that everyone in communal areas of the workshop, if able, continues to wear either a face covering, mask or a visor.
- Hand sanitiser provided on entry and additional cleaning measures in place.
- Removal of any shared equipment or materials wherever possible.
Full guidance on our Covid-19 policies and risk assessment can be found on our website here.
After attending this course you can join our workshop as a member and continue to use our facilities to make and develop your own work. The sooner the better, as the longer you leave it the more you are likely to forget! If you join up within one month of attending the course you will receive a £5 discount. Find out more about the benefits of membership here: https://www.wypw.org/shop/standard-membership/
- If you have to cancel:
- 16-12 weeks before the course: 50 % of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Less than 12 weeks before the course: 100% of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Please note that full payment is required for non-attendance on a booking that has been transferred.
- If we have to cancel: