Join us in using nature as a source of inspiration as you are introduced to the process of monotype, specifically exploring drawn monotypes and wipe out methods. You will be encouraged to work from your own sketches and imagery where possible, taking either an abstract or realistic approach to the subject matter.
This workshop is perfect for those new to printmaking, for those who enjoy drawing expressively or working with movement and painterly effects. The session will give a solid introduction to appropriate materials, paper, plates, inks and where relevant the use of the press. You will also be taught how to roll ink successfully and translate your ideas from sketched marks and visual investigation through to print.
You will leave the workshop with a small edition of black and white nature inspired prints.
Your tutor: Annie Fforde
Annie Fforde is an artist/printmaker with over 20 years printmaking experience. Recently returned from living and working in French Catalonia, Céret where she was president of a printmaking centre. An accomplished tutor, delivering workshops across monotype, lino, woodcut, dry point, carborundum, collagraph and viscosity prints. She particularly enjoys encouraging an experimental approach to printmaking through combining different techniques and approaches.
No previous experience is needed for this course. This is a great course for beginners and those who need a refresher, and is perfect as a lead-in to membership of WYPW, so that you can continue to use and develop the techniques you have learned.
The course price includes all the materials you will need on the day, paper, inks, drawing tools etc.
- Welcome and introduction.
- Demonstration of drawn monotype techniques
- Individual exploration of drawn monotypes –producing 2-3 black and white prints exploring positive and negative approaches both with and without a press.
- Reflection and pause.
- Demonstration of the wipe out method of monotype
- Individual exploration of wipe-out monotypes – producing 2-3 black and white prints again exploring positive and negative approaches.
What should I think about beforehand?
In preparation for the session please bring along some sketches, photographs and/or ideas based on ‘Nature’. Some resources will also be available to inspire you on the day.
After attending this course, you will be well equipped to join our workshop as a member and continue to use our facilities to make and develop your own work. The sooner the better, as the longer you leave it the more you are likely to forget! Sign up for membership within one month of attending the course you will receive a £5 discount. Find out more about the benefits of membership here.
- If you have to cancel:
- 16-12 weeks before the course: 50 % of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Less than 12 weeks before the course: 100% of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Please note that full payment is required for non-attendance on a booking that has been transferred.
- If we have to cancel: