Over the course of a weekend, learners will be guided through the reduction linocut method and colour blend inking techniques. Reduction linocut involves cutting away the surface of one lino block in stages and printing each stage, layer by layer, on top of the last, creating a multi-coloured, tonal print. Intricate detail can be achieved as well as bold abstract imagery and the result can be as stylised and individual as the maker chooses.
Colour blending is an ink rolling method that enables you to print your lino image with blended bands of colour and gradation. You often see this utilised for skylines that blend a dark colour into a light one or vice versa. It’s a great method to be used in conjunction with reduction linocut printing because this gives you the option to colour blend multiple layers of your print and introduce several colours with each layer!
During your time on the course you will develop a set of finished multi-layer lino prints as well as taking away with you the skills and knowledge to experiment with these highly adaptive techniques. The course will cover each element of these processes, from preparing your lino block, to carving, inking and printing, as well as registration methods and editioning your prints.
Your tutor: Scarlette Averley
Scarlette is a Huddersfield based artist, specialising in Printmaking, particularly Reduction Lino Cut. Her practice is centered in ‘place’, exploring locations and buildings of personal significance or local renown. Scarlette’s colour palette tends to be bright and bold, which reflects her relationship with and interpretations of the subjects. These dense layers of colour are achieved with heavy duty, industrial, oil based inks that leave a sheen or glossy finish on the prints.
“I am a committed practicing Printmaker with a great enthusiasm for the craft, a current studio-holder and Trustee of West Yorkshire Print Workshop.”
Scarlette’s pieces are limited edition, original handmade prints, in varying edition sizes. These are available online here.
This course is suitable for beginners as well as those looking to learn a new printmaking technique or who want a process refresher.
All course prices include basic materials such as inks, paper, tools and equipment.
The weekend will consist of :
- Introduction and demonstration of reduction linocut and colour blend techniques
- Selecting and developing an image using the above techniques
- Registering and printing your designs on our Imperial Platen Press
- The production of a signed edition of prints
- Advice, demonstrations and examples will be offered throughout
Covid-19 safety :
As a result of the ongoing pandemic, our workshops and the way we run courses looks a little different. We continue to have everyone’s safety as our main priority. It might not be quite the same as it was before but your ability to get stuck in and enjoy a spot of printmaking remains the same. Added measures to keep you safe include:
- All courses working with reduced numbers or alternate spaces to aid greater social ventilation and social distancing.
- Requesting that everyone in communal areas of the workshop, if able, continues to wear either a face covering, mask or a visor.
- Hand sanitiser provided on entry and additional cleaning measures in place.
- Removal of any shared equipment or materials wherever possible.
Full guidance on our Covid-19 policies and risk assessment can be found on our website here.
After attending this course you can join our workshop as a member and continue to use our facilities to make and develop your own work. The sooner the better, as the longer you leave it the more you are likely to forget! If you join up within one month of attending the course you will receive a £5 discount. Find out more about the benefits of membership here: https://www.wypw.org/shop/standard-membership/
- If you have to cancel:
- 16-12 weeks before the course: 50 % of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Less than 12 weeks before the course: 100% of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Please note that full payment is required for non-attendance on a booking that has been transferred.
- If we have to cancel: