Explore a range of colours using vegetable and plant dyes such as turmeric, madder, onion skins and logwood on this one day natural dyeing workshop. During the session, you will learn about using dyes to dye cottons, silk & wool and will create your own technical colour chart of small fabric samples (swatches) using the different dyes.
Your tutor: Kirstie Williams
This is ideal for complete beginners in fabric dyeing. Those who already have a creative practice, especially one focused around working with textiles, may benefit from learning about the natural dyeing process.
All course prices include basic materials such as dyes, fabrics, tools and equipment.
What do I need to prepare beforehand?
Students can bring samples of fabrics to try, or any other natural dyes if they wish to try them. However, all materials will be provided if you don’t have any of your own fabrics.
- Introductions, health and safety, showing examples.
- Demonstration – mixing up a dye pan and mordant solution.
- Students all help to prepare and use dye pans throughout the day.
- Practical activity to dye fabric samples.
Covid-19 safety :
As a result of the ongoing pandemic, our workshops and the way we run courses looks a little different. We continue to have everyone’s safety as our main priority. It might not be quite the same as it was before but your ability to get stuck in and enjoy a spot of printmaking remains the same. Added measures to keep you safe include:
- All courses working with reduced numbers or alternate spaces to aid greater social ventilation and social distancing.
- Requesting that everyone in communal areas of the workshop, if able, continues to wear either a face covering, mask or a visor.
- Hand sanitiser provided on entry and additional cleaning measures in place.
- Removal of any shared equipment or materials wherever possible.
Full guidance on our Covid-19 policies and risk assessment can be found on our website here.
After attending this course you can join our workshop as a member and continue to use our facilities to make and develop your own work. The sooner the better, as the longer you leave it the more you are likely to forget! If you join up within one month of attending the course you will receive a £5 discount. Find out more about the benefits of membership here: https://www.wypw.org/shop/standard-membership/
- If you have to cancel:
- 16-12 weeks before the course: 50 % of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Less than 12 weeks before the course: 100% of the fee will be retained by WYPW
- Please note that full payment is required for non-attendance on a booking that has been transferred.
- If we have to cancel: